Thursday, August 2, 2012

Two Books

I ordered two books from Amazon last week and they arrived yesterday.  I picked up The Bag Making Bible by Lisa Lam and The Colette Sewing Handbook by Sarai Mitnick.
 I've been eyeballing Sarai's book for a while now.  I really love her blog, The Coletterie, and I own one of her patterns, the Ceylon, which, admittedly, looks blah on the model, but cute in sketch form.  I didn't get to make it last year, because I got all engorged with baby, but it's on my list of things to try.  I have a fun vintage fabric to try with it.

Anyway, peeking through the book, I came across a pattern called The Licorice Dress, but, again, the model does not do a good job with this one, right?  Frumpy.
 But look how cute it is on page ONE of the book:
Adorable!  I'm not as skinny as the model in the polka dots, so maybe dress will look like puke on me. I don't know.

Also, I first became aware of Sarai when my husband sent me a link to her personal blog, Sweet Sassafras, about vintage shopping in Paris.  I think we hit up every one of her recommendations, including falafel in the Marais district.  Seriously, the BEST falafel I have ever had.  Want.  Now.

As for the bag book, it seems that I need bag making assistance (remember the thrice failed diaper bag?).  This book has lots of tips on pockets, closures, straps, etc.  I have dreams of becoming a bag making queen.   I'm currently admiring this bag:
 Anyway, we'll see how the books are when I finally put them to use.  Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment