Thursday, May 10, 2012

Nursery Evolution: Changing Table

For the changing table, we tried to pick something that would grow with our baby gal.  It seemed senseless to buy a changing table with no other purpose, so we picked up Ikea's Expedit shelving, placed it horizontally, added some mirrored doors, and added some legs to bring it up to a good height.  

We wanted storage boxes to go with the unit and we settled on the Drona box, a fabric covered cardboard-like bin for the low price of $4.99.  Looking at their website now, I see that it comes in pink, black, or green, but when we were there it only came in white.  They had pretty colored plastic boxes, but the thought of plastic boxes being dragged around by a toddler on the wood floor made me cringe.  They also had wicker, but I'm not a big wicker fan.

Anyway, after purchasing four of the Drona boxes, all of the white on white was just too much:
At first I wanted to make box covers for them out of fabric from my stash, but that required calculations and thinking and I wasn't up for that.

Then I decided that I should make applique-ish flowers out of scrap fabrics.  I got as far as this flower and called it a day.  I tried to go with the circle-dot theme of the room, but this just didn't look right:
While searching for adequate scrap fabric, I came across the Fredrika remnant from the nursery curtains.  What if I fused some of those flowers to the boxes?  I did one and it looked so much better than my pathetic creation!  I just flipped my circle-dot flower to the back of the shelf and used the other side of the box.  Behold:
So there you have it...my mini Ikea hack.  It's not perfect, but it works.  

1 comment: