Friday, May 25, 2012

Diaper Bag: Part Deux

I've been holding out writing a post about the diaper bag that I finished for my sister-in-law, because I was hoping to do a double post with hers and mine.  Unfortunately, mine currently looks like this:
Nuts.  I managed to cut it out sometime after my gal's birth, but it's been sitting in a pile in my craft room ever since.  Oh well.  

As for the finished product, I sent that out in February, for her shower, filled with goodies...you can't give a bag without putting something in it.  I think it's bad luck.  Or not. 
Once again, I revisited the problematic diaper bag pattern from my old blog:  Butterick B5005.  I had the same problem this time around:  the zip would not install properly.  Ugh.  I ended up taking it out and installing it a different way, resulting in this pucker:
Stinker.  But after I made this and screwed it up for the second time, I found this girl who had installed it properly.  After a little blogger-to-blogger convo, I think I may be able to put it in the right way next time.  She called the zipper a breeze to put in, while I think it's more of a gale.  We'll see.

Otherwise, I modified two things.  First, I installed a magnetic snap instead of the velcro.  I like it better and will be doing the same for my bag.
Next, I changed up the fabric for the inside pockets.  The directions tell you to use the lining fabric for both the lining and the inside pockets.  Since I lined it with black, I wanted to break up that abyss:
As for the contents, I just filled it with some things I'd found for their little baby:  Nintendo Teether from Etsy, Pride and Prejudice board book (purchased locally, of course),  a fun Mr. Potato Head onesie (found at a craft show, but I can't remember the seller -- sorry!), and some Pooh-related items.
I also made some burp cloths and matching bibs:

And my latest discovery is this PUL fabric that is supposed to be waterproof (has not worked well enough with my one homemade diaper, though), but I found some orange PUL and made a matching changing mat:

PS...I wrote this post while nursing and then with a sleeping babe on my chest.  If only all of life's tasks could be accomplished as such.  Baby snuggle time is the best.

6 comments:

  1. You are amazing! LOVE this bag so much!! Fantabulous post...especially considering the whole nursing/sleeping bay thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel! It's a pretty great bag. I really need to get on making mine so that I can stop using a knapsack.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love the bag and the changing pad to match. You are so talented my friend. Cannot believe you still have time to do this with a baby and nursing. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through the Emmeline Apron review over on Sewer Sluts and enjoyed looking through your projects over here. LOVE your daughter's nursery--beautiful work! Where did you buy your PUL? There are definitely good and bad versions out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much! I had a lot of fun making the nursery...makes me want more kids, so I can have more nurseries! I bought the PUL off a roll at Crafty Planet in Minneapolis for the diaper. I also bought some Babyville PUL, which is what I used on the changing pad. I have yet to make any diaper covers with that PUL. Someday I'll get to it...hopefully before she's done with diapers.

      Delete