Friday, August 3, 2012

Rachel, Rachel, How Does Your Garden Grow?

Earlier this season, I shared a photo of my new tomato cages.
I had planted some basil, cherry tomatoes, heirloom yellow tomatoes, a yellow squash and a zucchini, kirby cucumbers, and regular cucumbers.  The rhubarb and the chives came back from last year.

A month or so later, this is what I've got:
 Wowsas!  The tomatoes have taken over.  I pulled out the cucumbers, because, um, well, I didn't do any planning and didn't realize that they needed to be trellised.  Plus, the one got a little powdery mildew on the leaves and the cuke was bitter-ish.  Not good.  Tossed, but not into my compost pile.  I don't think the yellow squash survived.  I've eaten about three or four zukes. 

The cherry tomatoes are really thriving.  They are just taking over.  I've had about five or six ripe ones tossed with one zucchini, basil, and oregano from the garden over pasta with chicken sausage and goat cheese.  Pretty tasty.  
 I can't wait for them all to turn ripe.  I think I'll have to share with the neighbors, though, because I don't think I can eat them all.
Is this photo upside down?  I can't tell.  I tried to rotate it, but no angle seemed right side up.  Anyway, next year, I think I'd like to take out the raised bed and put a garden around the perimeter of the yard.  I think there will be enough sun.  I don't think this raised bed is big enough for all the growing I keep trying to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment