Monday, December 15, 2014

Thank you, Mel!

When Z was six months or so, we took a family education class.  We had heard all these great things about it, but it didn't really work for us.  Maybe it was the teacher, the other parents, the time of night...or maybe it was just us.  I think all of those who recommended it had taken the class as a stay-at-home during the middle of the day, so they were able to establish these awesome relationships with other parents and go on play dates and whatnot.  Not us.  Or we could just be hyper anti-social and/or maybe we just suck.

Anyway, I didn't take much away from that class (and thank Zeus that I cannot remember that stupid song they always sang), but one conversation does stick with me.  The teacher asked us about family traditions that we had when growing up.  I couldn't think of anything!  I know there must have been, but I just couldn't remember any.  I want us to have traditions of our own for the girls and we have started some (Braham Pie Day - first Friday of August!) and one I am going to poach from a friend.

My best friend from college has been making the Halloween costumes** for her kids for years and each year she finds a coordinating Christmas tree ornament that represents that year's costume.  It's the best idea!  And it's a nice little tradition.  I don't know if she gives the ornaments to them on Christmas Day or if they get them beforehand - I should ask.  

As you may remember, gentle Reader, the girls were a squirrel and an acorn for Halloween this year.  I was pinning a bunch of felt squirrels that I was convinced would become Z's ornament.  Of course, I wouldn't have any time to make it until after the holidays and I haven't even tackled last year's kitty costume ornament (though I have saved swatches of that fabric for such a project).  

And then it hit me...my dear friend from high school makes custom ornaments.  She posted an example of some on FB and I had this immediate happy reaction to them.  I absolutely knew that was the direction I wanted to go for this year.  So I placed an order and within a week they were at my door.

They are perfect!


The dates are burned into the back of them.   So perfect.  Thank you, Mel!

Here's a link to Mel's etsy shop.  Good stuff!

** This friend is the best costumer I know.  Seriously, she should go pro.

3 comments:

  1. This post made me teary eyed. Love ya and thanks for the link up :) You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post gave me goosebumps. Not only is this a brilliant idea (the girls will remember what they were each year) those ornaments are AMAZEBALLS! Beautiful and totally took me back to your pics of the girls in their costumes. Love it!

    ReplyDelete