Halloween. When was that? Oh, yeah, October. I made a costume for my kid. It was actually a long hard road with the costume and probably would've made mediocre blog content, but, again: pregnant and lazy. So, blah.
I wanted to make the Goodnight Moon bunny and ordered some of that minky fabric off of ebay. It was totally the wrong color. Still blue, but not turquoise. I have not taken a photo. You'll just have to take my word for it. I didn't return it, but I should have. Lies!
Then I went with just bunny. I found some purple faux fur at the fabric store and picked up a lot of that. I went with Butterick 3238.
All of my calculations led me to believe that this would fit her. It had a gazillion pattern pieces and faux purple fur went all over the craft room. I accidentally cut out the wrong size hood. I whipped up the body part while the kid was at the park and when she got back I put it on her only to discover that it was way too big. You see, I had calculated her entire height instead of doing the base of neck. It was like six inches too long.
No picture of her in it, but this is what I made up.
It's an Easter hue, I know, but it would have worked just fine as a silly little Halloween costume.
So then it was back to the cutting board. I had made the smallest size on the last pattern, so there was no where else for me to go with that one. I went back to my stash and picked out another kid costume. There was another bunny on it, but I didn't have any more faux fur, so I had to improvise.
I went with the kitty. So I scrounged through my fabric stash and found a faux leather cat fabric, some faux fur left over from this costume, a little bit of black fabric, and a variety of brown bias tape. It worked.
She moves pretty fast, so these are the pictures I was able to snag.
For the tail, which you can sort of see in the above photo, I just cut out a tail shape in the faux fur and tacked it onto the back of the costume. I did not see the point in sewing a tube of fabric, because turning that frustrates me to no end. Also note that I was too lazy (or rushed, now that I think about it, because this was made the night before Halloween) to switch out my thread at the cuff.
So there you have it. If I make up the hood on that purple costume (still in a heap on my craft room floor, so I better get to that before the cats shit on it), then she'll have a costume in the future.