Friday, January 2, 2015

Kiddo Apron

I made my sister-in-law an apron back in 2012 and she requested a matching apron for her daughter (almost three years old!).
Well, as mentioned earlier, I had a bit of a fabric dilemma.  There was not enough blue fabric to make a blue apron.  Ack!   So I had to rethink the apron.

I had a ton of green.  Of course, after deciding upon the green, I realized that the green fabric had already been used to back my niece's I Spy quilt.
Balls.

I went ahead with it anyway.  I can always make a set of better matching aprons sometime in the future (if they desire).  I have this pattern, which is kind of weird with those bloom pockets, but I've always liked it.

Anyhow, I used a child-size pattern from The Perfect Apron pattern book.  It looked way too small, but I tried it on my girl and it was a perfect fit.  Phew.

I used the blue as the ruffle and as a micro pocket.  I had to piece the ruffle strip together, because I did not have enough length for one straight cut. 

I guess I could have used yellow bias binding to match her mom's but I was smitten with this check binding.  It wasn't the right size for the bias binding straps, so I just used it to accent the apron at the top and along the yellow pocket.
 
I put a surprise strawberry in the micro pocket.
So...side by side comparison:

2 comments: