I mentioned earlier this month that I wanted to start to make a dent in my scrap fabric pile. I saw a tutorial via pinterest for Happy Together's fabric alphabet and thought it would be a good way to use up some of those scraps.
Well, I don't think I made a dent, but I did use up some flannel for the backing. I also used some saved batting that had been trimmed off of some quilts (quilt smegma?) and I put that in the middle, so I used up some of that, as well.
I ran out of blue flannel, so I had to make like five or six letters with some yellow calico flannel. Oh well. I still need to make one of these sets for my own kid. She's playing with her cousin's birthday set.
I tried to make a drawstring bag for their long term storage, but it was just a disaster. First I mis-boxed the corners of the bag and then I tried to string it with rope, but the rope got all messed up. And then one of the grommets popped off. Blah! I just gave up and used a holiday bag that they can either reuse for its original, intended purpose or they can keep the letters in it. That's up to them.
Also, things that I learned during this project:
1.) Pinking shears are a bitch to work with. I used them to cut through the three layers and it was miserable. I really don't know why I bought them, but I thought they were what I'm supposed to have in my sewing box. I rarely use them.
2.) Fabric marking pens have disappearing ink. I thought the ink disappeared with water, but apparently air will do it. Useless. I marked letters at the start of the month and most of the tracings vanished. Grrrr. The chalk tracings were intact, but the purple lines were gone.