Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Painter's Apron

My sister's kids do a lot of art, so I've made a little art smock for my nephew's fourth birthday.  I plan to make one for my niece, as well, because when I was a kid I remember getting something when it was my sister's birthday.  

As for this one, I used the bias tape apron pattern from Oliver + S: Little Things to Sew.  The book has an actual paint smock pattern, but my mom said that the kids like to paint their arms, so I did a sleeveless apron.  
I used some plastic coated dinosaur fabric.  I have had this in my stash since 2008.  I remember the year, because my husband and I went to Tucson for a one day work training session.  After work we went to get some sort of authentic Mexican food and there was a thrift store near that.  I bought a bag full of fabric, sorted it on the sidewalk, and redonated what I didn't want.  That way I did not have to schlep home any ugly fabric.

I did the medium size that fits up to size 6.  He's a big kid for four, so I hope this fits him.  Maybe I could have squeezed out a large, but I really wanted this blue T-rex centered on the apron front.


I have yet to put snaps on the back of it, but that will finish it off.  It was a relatively quick and easy sew.  This is plastic coated, so I had to sew with some tissue paper (from V Secret, of all places!) under the presser foot.  I accidentally did one French-seamed shoulder and one makeshift flat felled seam.  I don't know why.  And I forgot to put bias tape under the armpit.  Oh well.

Other things I've made out of this book:
Puppet Theatre
Bucket hats


No comments:

Post a Comment