Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sushi Containers

No photo today...just a quick story on how I got some plastic containers for the felt sushi that I am making for a little girl's birthday.  The sushi is coming along just fine, in fact, and I should have a post up in a few days showing all of the completed pieces.  My biggest dilemma was where to procure a plastic sushi display box.  

I considered going to the United Noodles market, the largest Asian grocery store in the mid-west (or so it claims).  That one's in Minneapolis, but there's an Asian market closer to my house in St. Paul called Dragon Star.  I just haven't been able to get to either store and the birthday party is on Sunday.

So, yesterday, I stopped at Whole Foods for lunch and there was a special on the cucumber-avocado roll at the sushi counter.  I started to think that I could just wash out the container, you know, and go with that.  However, the container was compostable (read: unwashable) and the plastic containers were all filled with icky raw fishes and I did not want to buy one just to throw out all of the contents.

The sushi maker was behind the counter and said hello to me, so I then asked him where to find these plastic containers.  I couldn't hear him very well through the thick prison-like partition, but he seemed to say that I could find them in Chicago.  I looked disappointed and told him that I needed a container to display felt sushi.  

"I have a present for you," he said, and disappeared.  So I hung around and contemplated how delicious it would be to eat a steamed bbq pork filled dumpling...if I still ate pork.  He showed back up a few minutes later and produced a stack of container bottoms.  This stack was still wrapped in plastic and there were probably 50 or so containers.  I thanked him profusely, but told him I only needed one.  He kept pushing them on me, but eventually understood and gave me five  plastic bottoms.  I also managed to get five tops out of him all for free!

Yay!  So I am 87% done with my felt sushi (I am working on an octopus one and I think I should do another California roll or something like that) and it looks awesome in its little container thus far.

Also, I made a salmon roe sushi and I'm going to try my very own tutorial for how to do it, but that will take some time.  It's pretty adorable.  Pictures to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment