Saturday, July 7, 2018

Dollhouse: Finished Floors

I had to travel for work in January and again in March and somewhere before or between those trips I finished the floors on the dollhouse.  I didn't want my girls to have half-finished floors if, for some reason, I croaked on those trips.  So, now I can fully croak in peace and my mini 1:12 sized ghost will not haunt the dollhouse and its unfinished floors.
So they were previously painted white and that looked like junk and so I went with tiny pieces of basswood strips.  I think the finished result looks pretty smashing.  They look like the floors in my 100 year old house, actually - with the different hues.  Does it look like a teeny tiny real house yet?

The stairs were a challenge.  I decided to leave the rise white and the run got the basswood.  (Do I have that right?  Rise and run?  Or did I reverse them?  I refuse to google that and will continue to live in ignorance.)  

Some of the heights of the strips were a little uneven when they were all laid out, so I sanded before I put the poly on.

And here are some pictures of the house with some furnishings:






It's looking pretty good, I think.  I've been working on hand sewing some curtains and I just hate them.  I really think I should go to the store and find wide pieces of lace.  That worked well for the living room.  We'll see. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even know there were names for stairs (rise and run), and I'm taking your lead and living in ignorance. This house really is stunning. If there weren't upkeep like a yard and leaking pipes, I'd want to shrink and live there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you need to contact the person who made this lovely house and show him the 21st century renovations. You did an excellent job. Wish I had looked at it more when I visited. UGH.

    ReplyDelete