Sunday, July 1, 2018

Four Cloaks

Ugh.  Whatever.  I don't want to hear about how long it's been since I've written.  I'm here now and that's all that matters.  In the last seven months I have done very little crafting, but will now proceed to share with you the odds and ends that I have been able to squeeze out.

Cloaks.  Four of them.  I used the pattern from here.  The first cloak was blue velvet with no lining for the hood and embellished with giant gold ric rac around the hem.  
It was a birthday gift for a six year old girl.  We were rather housebound because of a snowstorm, so I whipped this up the morning of the party.  After I finished this one, I started on two cloaks for my girls and decided to line the hoods with cottons.

I made a rose velvet cloak for my littlest and have taken very few pictures of it.  My mom was in town and put on the line of sequins with her nimble hand-sewing skills.
 I've used buttons from my stash and hair bands for the closures on all of them.  Here's the lining of this hood:

My eldest asked for an American Cape.  I think of it as a Wonder Woman Cloak.  My mom, once again, helped out with the red sequin embellishments and I sewed the stars on with my machine.  There are nine stars, total, in case you were wondering.

The velvet is not in the best of shape, but that's why it's perfect for dress up clothes.  She wore this out to the Farmer's Market and received many compliments.  I'm sure she'll wear it to this week's Fourth of July Parade.
 The hood lining is more of a nautical theme, but whatever.  It's got stars and the right colors.  It works for me.
 Stars!  I found them on Amazon.
And the final cloak was created yesterday for a birthday party today.  It didn't take long at all.  I used some stretchy velvety costume fabric.  The fabric was not my favorite to sew, but it worked out.
 (Don't ask.  I'm sure she was aggravated that I was making her model the cape.  Or maybe she was aggravated that I wouldn't let her watch television at the crack of dawn.)  I used a big button for the closure -- you can see it in the above photo -- and some floral cotton for the lining of the hood.
So that's it.  Four cloaks.  

5 comments:

  1. I see threads on the underside of Z's cape. UGH....I missed them...sorry. White one is cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda want an adult sized Wonder Woman cloak.
    Love them. Excellent as always. And don't apologize for lack of posts. You do what you can. We are lucky to get what you give. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have enough blue velvet for such a thing! It’s very soft and cozy velvet too...

      Delete