Sunday, January 31, 2016

All Laquered Up

I found a set of Asian-themed dollhouse furniture pieces at an antique store recently.  There are two chairs, a little end table, a trunk, a buffet, and two coffee tables and all are painted black with gold designs.  I'm going to get all fancy on you now and describe them as Chinoiserie.  Like I said, fancy.  

Pardon the appearance of the house...I did not sweep.
I think that the legs and other curvy parts may be handpainted, but the flat parts look like they were stamped.  
I'm calling this one a buffet, though I'm sure there's a more accurate word for it.  It's so delicate.  I can't bear to think of my children's little hands touching this, so you should know that these are MINE.  They can look at them when they turn 32.  
Here's the trunk and the little table, which is really wobbly.  And look at this:
It opens!  So sweet.  So, that's it.  Seven pieces and all for $25.00, which is not so bad when you break it down per piece.  When I got home, I looked them up on the internet and found different combinations of pieces/sets priced anywhere from like $50.00 and up to about $300 on one site, which I think is a bit much.  When I first saw these in the store, I really considered buying only one or two pieces, but I just couldn't break them up  In the end, however, I don't have all of the pieces from the original set.  There's a screen, a dining table, more chairs, and more little tables still outstanding.  

Since I bought these, I've become a bit of an ebay junkie.  I'm watching like 5 or 6 auctions, but not bidding on anything.  There's one currently going on that is up to $140 and I could furnish 4 houses with all the goodies in the lot, but that's pretty steep.  Oh, well.  And the funny thing?  There are about five of these little Asian pieces in that lot.  The auctioneer is not highlighting them, though.  

And there's one more thing that I found at the Goodwill...a little candle holder turned planter:
 There are actually two of them, but I only have one small bit of greenery to show them off.  

And, before I forget, I've finally rid the walls in the kitchen of that damn wallpaper.  

Oh, one more thing.  Do you remember how I introduced you to the new occupant of the house?  Well, I went back to Target to peruse the selection and everything was gone!  They must have discontinued it.  They are still sold other places, so maybe I should run over and get another shopgirl.  They're the perfect size.  I was also thinking of getting the OPI nail salon - it comes with like 3 chairs or something, but I don't know.  

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking about your dollhouse today and wondering what you had been up to on it.

    ReplyDelete