I made these rope bowls with about 100 ft of cotton clothesline. I saw the tutorial from Tanis Knits and thought I'd give it a try.
I started with the big one. My bobbin and thread were both purple and the basket ate through that like crazy. Here's the bottom:
I zig-zagged over the center coil to help it stay strong. And my purple only went about an inch up the sides:
I switched to gray at that point and that lasted forever. I finished it with two handles, like the tutorial suggested. I didn't really know how to finish off the last bit. It's kind of sloppy.
I was just going to make one big bowl with all that rope, but as I coiled it upwards, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that I was making the opening narrower than I had intended. With the remaining rope, I made another little bowl:
This had a gray upper thread, which turned the inside of the bowl gray. My bobbin was turquoise, which appears as the outside of the bowl.
I went with an oval starting point instead of a little circle. And, instead of handles, I just did a little loopity-loo for the end of the rope.
I'm not quite sure how to tidy that up.
I really liked making these. I'm still interested in trying this again and am very keen on using dye to provide some pops of color. The weekend that I started making my first bowl, I went to a craft fair and saw some for sale. The maker had turned them into purses and had dipped the bottoms in beeswax for a sturdy coating. I don't think I'll go that far.