Sunday, December 23, 2012

Grocery Tote

My sister has been saving the rainforest (according to her t-shirts in high school) for many years now.  Last year I found her a purse made from recycled billboards from an etsy seller called Drive By Bags.  I gave her a bag this year, too, but I made it myself out of yardsale fabric.  That's recycling, right?  So that should appeal to her eco-conscious nature.

I used Simplicity 2806 and made the bag that's on that chair...the white one.  I wanted to make the red one with the side pockets, but I was running out of time to make the post office deadline, so I went with the simpler one.  

I don't know why I was surprised by the sheer size of the thing, but I was.  It's pretty giant.  Also, the handles go from the front to the back and I guess that's okay, but it wasn't what I was expecting.  Don't mind the criss-crossing on the neck of the mannequin -- that's just how I hung it.

I filled it with goodies from Trader Joe's, because she doesn't have one near where she lives.  

I love this red fabric and I think I have enough to make a small bag or two.  It's very vibrant.  Oh, and I forgot to take a picture of the lining, but I used some large red and white checked "picnic table" cotton.  

No comments:

Post a Comment