Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Floors Update

I decided to use basswood strips for the floors.  I thought about scrapbook paper modpodged onto it and I thought about laminate floor samples and I also thought of actual dollhouse flooring.  I scrapped all those ideas.  The basswood strips are pretty cheap at the model train store, except I bought them out...with 22 strips.  I don't know when they'll order more.  

I stained them and when they are all down, I'll put a layer of polyurethane over them all to make them a bit more durable.  I then cut them into 2" strips and glued them down with Aleene's Tacky Glue.  I've also run out of strips.  I think I'll need 60 more to finish the house.  This is what I've got so far:
With the above picture you can see how different it makes it look - comparing the white floors to the wood floors.  It makes it look like a real house, right?

It's hard to keep them all straight.  I see a gap that I have to fill.  It's also hard to keep them all lined up right at the edge.  I've been using an exacto knife to fix them, but I think I'm going to lose my thumb if I keep at it.
I was also a little sloppy in the bathroom and there are some gaps:

Nuts.  When I've tried to cut pieces that are that small, they've splintered.  Stinker.  

Oh...and sparkly wallpaper in the smaller bedroom:
I'm thinking long red satin curtains in there.  I wonder if grommets will fit on the curtain rod.  I kept the ones that came with the house, but I also bought one mini dowel if I needed extra.  I don't remember if all the rooms came with rods.  I also kept the little eye hooks that act as curtain rod brackets.

For the record (I'm not sure if I've mentioned this):  I didn't want to do curtains in any of the rooms.  When I took the curtains out of the house at the start of the renovation, they were so dusty and gross, so I was a bit turned off them. I even spackled over the holes when I thought the rooms would be painted instead of wallpapered.  However...my kid wants curtains, so curtains she shall have.

1 comment:

  1. I missed a few posts!!! Wow! This house is just The Most (a phrase I learned from a youth at the Cat Video Festival. She called my cat skirt The Most. Hopefully it is a compliment.). You are doing a brilliant job. There were some potted plants in one of the pics. You know how I love plants. I covet them!

    ReplyDelete