I realized that I never followed through with making any more elf stockings for our Christmas mantle. It's the story of my crafting life these days. As a refresher, I made this stocking earlier this year:
It's super skinny. I can't even fit my hand down to the heel. It doesn't matter, really, because I doubt anyone will ever put anything in it...It's my stocking. I have since added a bell and patched a hole with some velvet ribbon. It's ready to go!
I decided to tackle the other stockings before my Xmas crafting season gets underway. I really should've started the gift making first, but this was much easier and more fun. For the next two stockings I used a commercial pattern: McCall's M5261 (out of print). I had to flip the pattern so that the toe pointed to the right, though I really only used one piece of the pattern in order to get a better sized stocking.
I marbled four pieces of fabric when I took that marbling class. I used the gold piece in the above stocking. I used this piece for the next stocking:
I added some decorative stitches to the toe because the fabrics were a bit warped at that seam. I still need to add a bell to the tippy toe, but I only have red or gold bells and it needs a silver bell. Actually, I think I have one silver bell somewhere -- it was the bell from the cat's broken collar. I figured I would find a use for it instead of throwing it into the landfill, but it's small and I can't remember where I stuck it.
As it's been hanging on the mantle for a day or two, I realized that the stocking needs more sparkle, so I may add some sequins to some of the seams. I have those strands of sequins, so it would be a really quick and easy addition.
I also want to find some little craft letters for each of our initials and glitter them up. I thought they could hang on the same hook to designate each person's stocking.
Stay tuned later this week for Stocking #3!