Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Old Lady's Stash

My sewing machine is still in the shop.  I dropped it off on a Thursday, with the understanding that the repair fella picks them up on Fridays.  Wrong.  He had been by that same day, so it had to wait at least a week before he returned.  Did he return?  Who knows?  I haven't heard anything.

So, machine-less, I have been at a loss.  I tried starting some hand sewing projects, but the swelling in my feet was pretty bad.  The water retention was so bad that it started to impact my right wrist.  I think it's some sort of pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel.  By the end of the day, I could not chop veggies for dinner or press soap out of the dispenser.  Ouch.  There seems to be some relief over the last two days.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps my water intake has finally flushed some of the bad stuff out.  

Where am I going with this?  I haven't done anything crafty at all.  However, at my last OB appointment, I stopped by the thrift store and picked up some vintage fabric.  It was packed up in little bags, so I wasn't even sure what I was getting.  I picked three bags up and I chose those specific bags, because I was interested in a piece or two in each bag.  After getting home and opening them, I came to realize that they had all come from the same lot.  I think some little old lady croaked and her family donated all her fabric.  

Behold:

Dotted Swiss, hearts, florals, etc.  Nothing too exciting and the pieces are not huge.  Plus they need a good washing.

Spread throughout my three bags were these pieces of fabric covered in flocking on the flowers.  It was kind of neat to find them all.
I don't know how this stuff will hold up in the wash.  

And then scattered throughout the three packages were little gems of fabric:
Look how fun that is.  There is not very much of it at all, but it's so nifty and not something I would ever buy.

Pretty!  Again, there's not much of this.

This just makes me laugh:
Do I need to make a doll dress?  If it didn't have those lines on it, maybe I could find a use for it.

This is one of the fabrics that drew my attention when it was stuck in the bag:
It's the front or back panel of a half-made pencil skirt, though, so it's a bit limited.  I'll find something for it, because it's lovely.

Not so lovely, this:
This fabric is hideous.  These are a pair of half-made shorts and the seams don't line up at all.  Blah.  Maybe I should just do this a favor and throw it out.

Oh, the last piece of fabric is just about a yard, so there may be enough for a shirt.  It has a lovely drape to it.  I never really knew about drape when I first started sewing, because my sewing teacher never explained that to me.  My first skirt was made out of quilting cotton, then my next dress was okay, but the next thing I made was a shirt out of the stiffest stiffest fabric.  She never explained to me that it wasn't going to work. In fact, she encouraged me to use it.  Nutty lady.  Anyway, here's the fabric:
Just some little flowers and dots on white, but it's nice.  It needs a wash.

That was it.  Well, there was also a wrinkled scarf and an ugly, polyester doily, but they're going back to the thrift store.

2 comments: