Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Last I Spy Quilts

The hardest part for these I Spy quilts has been finding 48 unique squares for each blanket. I think I've mentioned that before.  These last two blankets make eight total I Spy quilts that I have made over the last five years....that's a lot of squares.  I picked up one "Eden" set of I Spy charm squares from Crafterhours and split it between the two blankets, but still had to make up the remainder out of my own stash and/or donated squares from friends.  I probably could have made these last Christmas, actually, but didn't...general sewing fatigue, I think.  I started them just around Thanksgiving this year.

Here's the first one for my nephew:
Donated squares are side by side on this blanket (lady bugs and citrus...thanks, Rin!).  And don't look at my corners.  Very sloppy, I know.
You can totally see how crooked these squares are...look at the knots.  They are totally off.  This has happened on every blanket I've made.  I can't figure it out.  I suck.
As for the backing and binding, I caved and went to Treadle Yard Goods instead of using fabric from my stash, which is always my goal.  I found the backing on the 40% off rack at least.
Then we have my daughter's blanket.  I finished it on Christmas Day.  I wanted to finish it the day before, but I felt nauseous all day and passed out at 8pm.  
 Flamingoes from her dress!
 The backing on this one has been in my stash for eight years or so now.  I made an apron out of it and really only needed half a yard at the time, but bought over two yards.  I don't know why.  I was so new to sewing and had no idea what I was doing.  Of course, I can still make that mistake -- I am currently in possession of an extra yard of car fabric.  Ugh.
I mentioned that I got the squares from Crafterhours.  They got them from Spoonflower and I've noticed that the Spoonflower fabrics fade a lot faster than other cottons.  I compared this quilt to the one for her older sister.  The older one has faded a lot.  Did it also shrink?  Their bottom edges are lined up:
 Here they are together:
That's nuts.  Did I do something wrong on that first one?  Measure incorrectly?  Larger seam allowances?  Or has it just shrunk with each washing?

Anyway, Miss Trix is very pleased with her blanket.  She snuggled under it to watch Moana yesterday, played I Spy With My Little Eye a bunch of times, and snuggled with it again at bedtime.  She asked if she could keep it forever and ever.  Cockles warmed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

1 comment:

  1. "I suck."
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    I laugh at your self-deprecation.

    They turned out so nicely. Interesting mystery on the size descrepencies.

    ReplyDelete