Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Unicorns and Sadness

The one kid wanted to be Elsa-Anna (from Frozen) and the other wanted to be Tinkerbelle.  I suppose had I been a good mother, I would have agreed to those two selections and made them into Disney characters for Halloween.  Instead, I added some pictures to Pinterest of costumes I wanted to make instead and manipulated them into choosing something to my liking.  I am a bad mother.

(In my defense - they could be Elsa-Anna any old day of the week and Tinkerbelle's costume is too skimpy for Minnesota Halloweens.)

Also, before we go any further, please note that they would not cooperate for photos, so don't expect some charming photos of the two of them.  One was a rainbow unicorn and the other was a pink unicorn.  They chose their own colors at the craft store.  I used gray sweatshirts and leggings as the base and built the unicorns upon that.
The horns are made of felt with some gold-silver braiding.  I found some elastic headbands at the dollar store and sewed the horns to the headbands.  The manes were pretty simple to make.  I braided some yarn and then tied bunches of yarn to the braid.  Then I hand sewed the braids to the hoods.
The manes were heavy and made the hoods fall down quite a bit.  It was frustrating (see below) but I took some hair clips and clipped them to the headbands.  It worked. 

The two tails are different.  The rainbow one was just long strands looped together and sewed onto an elastic waistband.  The pink one was a braid and I tried to tie different bunches of yarn in varying lengths to it.  It's not my favorite.
Pink unicorn!
And tears:
This is as close as I could get to cooperation:
You noticed the snow, did you?  Yeah, that was last Friday's gift.  It melted by Halloween night, but it was pretty nipply outside.  What was it?  30 degrees?  Brrrrr.  I made them wear their fleeces under the sweatshirts and that worked perfectly.

I also had on a few layers:
Sadness! 








1 comment:

  1. I love your makeup. Taking it off alone would keep me from ever trying something so fun.

    ReplyDelete