Monday, March 18, 2013

Double Dinosaurs

And here are the next two dinosaur capes.  I finished them up with some ribbon for neck ties and I attached them with a super duper zig zag stitch.  It looks a lot cleaner than the velcro fiasco.  
 My plan was to use corduroy for this one, but I didn't have enough of the maroon, so I used this heavyweight fabric I found at a thrift store.  I still have a bunch of it left.  I think it worked with this project, because it makes me think of scales, but I don't know what else I'd use it for.
As for the lining fabric, that is from my mom from when I first started sewing back in 2007 (or was it 2008?).  She sent me a big slab of that pink striped fabric, along with matching purple stripes and a  bunch of complementary purple fabric with white swirls.   The selvedge reads 1996.  Yup.  I can see that.   Should I ever need to make hammer pants...
As for the eyes, I used these nifty buttons I had in my stash.  I also have them in black, I think, but here I used the maroon and the navy buttons.
These capes are for a brother and sister, so I wanted to make them matchy-matchy and I think I did that without being too annoying.  Of course they are only three and two, so maybe the concept of too matchy-matchy hasn't registered with them yet.  We'll see.  I hope to get these in the mail today.  Yay!  Three birthdays coming up...and I am almost 1/5 done with that one.  

1 comment:

  1. Apparently they like these if someone else wears them and chases them while they yell "MONSTER"